Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Shot Through The Heart Arm

Ah, kindergarten... A rite of passage in a young child's life, and with it comes a kindergarten check-up. You know what comes with a kindergarten check-up? I'll give you a hint... It's NOT fries! If you guessed shots (and LOTS OF THEM) you are correct!

Today Big A had his kindergarten check-up. Everything was checking out great and running smoothly until the very end.


Now Big A didn't go into this appointment unsuspecting. I've always been honest with the kids about their doctor visits and he knew he was going to get shots. He even brought Softie Dog along so he could squeeze him tight while getting said shots. However, when not one... Not two... But THREE nurses entered the room to give the shots, he lost it.

The minute the door opened and they walked in with those four needles, he started struggling. It was all I could do to get him onto the exam table and hold him down between my legs with my arms wrapped around him. One of the nurses held his arms behind me and the other two double teamed on the shots. They did one in each arm (like two people piercing ears) and then did a second one in each arm and Big A screamed bloody murder the ENTIRE TIME!

Let me tell you... That boy is S T R O N G and L O U D!! The worst part was that he was yelling at me to let him go and that I was hurting him. I knew what I was doing was right, but it was difficult to hear and not be able to just let him go and snuggle him instead of restraining him.

In the end he (and his sister, because they have their doctor wrapped around their finger like nobody's business and they're spoiled) ended up with a button, a pencil and five stickers and they actually left the office smiling. All's well that ends well, right?

On a side note, this is probably the last time we'll see our favorite doctor (hopefully this is see you later, and not goodbye forever) because we make the change to Circle K (as our ENT calls it) on June 1. Goodbye, Dr. M, and thanks for everything! We love you!


1 comment:

Melissa Smith said...

Hi Amy,
Your blog is great. I can relate with so much of it with both of us having 5 year olds. David took Jonathan to the Dr. the other day and it was the first time I didn't go with him. He found out he needed 4 shots before school. David elected not to have them done yet since we are getting ready for vacation but as soon as we get home, David will so be taking him for his shots. I figured I did all the baby shots, he can hold him down now that he is 5 and strong. Glad everything ended up with smiles!