Saturday, May 8, 2010

Hide And Seek


Do your kids hide things? I mean when they're supposed to be cleaning up, rather than putting things where they go they hide them? In the last two days I've found PILES of Legos under the toy box, various toys in all corners of their room (under the beds, behind boxes, under the shelves, etc.) and shoes behind the toilet. Yes, shoes behind the toilet! I know I'm a mom, and an adult, and I probably did the same things when I was a kid, but when do kids learn that whole thing about how much easier it is to do it right the first time? What? (As I type this I can hear my mom talking to me...) What's that you say, Mom? Some people never learn?

This is a relatively new habit in our household but I'm sick of it already. I've told the kids that from now on, whatever I find is going to be thrown away. I'm not opposed to throwing a few things away to try to make the point (or at least putting them in the garage sale box where the kids THINK I threw it away), but how can I throw shoes away? And how can I throw hundreds of dollars worth of Legos away? And how can I break this habit?

Any ideas? Suggestions? HELP!


1 comment:

Bek said...

The strategy changes depending on what she's "into" at the moment. Right now, she's big on saving money for toys, so I say this often, "If I go up there and find stuff not put away correctly, it will cost you a quater for each thing." Usually that gets results. I have yet to actually take any money, though. ;)