Thursday, January 28, 2010

It Was A Dream... It Was ONLY A Dream...


It was a beautiful, sunny day. B and the kids and I were at a pool somewhere. We were the only ones in the water, but there were two other people on the pool deck. I'm assuming they were lifeguards, but I'm not 100% certain.

The kids were enjoying their time splashing and swimming around and out of nowhere (because this was a dream and in dreams you can pull things out of nowhere) B pulls out this blue, inflatable pool toy of some sort. I was LIVID! I started getting on him about spending money on unnecessary items and kept repeating over and over that I didn't CARE how much it cost, we didn't need it. I pointed out how much fun the kids were having with no toys, telling him they didn't need toys and repeatedly demanded that he take it back, the entire time getting more and more enraged that he'd spent money on something we hadn't talked about. I was SO frustrated.

In the midst of my anger at B and the situation, I realized that Little A was swimming right by me, but that I hadn't seen Big A in a couple of minutes. I said to B, "Where's Big A?"

B answered, "I don't know. How should I know?"

At that moment, B moved out of the way and there was Big A floating near the steps just a few feet from us. My 10+ years of lifeguard experience kicked in and I grabbed Big A out of the pool. I laid him on the pool deck, lifted his chin and tilted his head, and started assessing his ABC's. He wasn't breathing. I yelled out to the people on the deck, "CALL 9-1-1! HE'S NOT BREATHING!"

And then I woke up...

And I RAN into the kids' room to make sure that they were both in their beds... Sound asleep... Where they should be...

They were... All is good...

But MAN! That was scary... And vivid... And...

I'm sorry... I just had to get that off my chest and usually writing it down will help...





No comments: