Monday, January 25, 2010

Abstract Art... And Not So Abstract Art...


Last week I decided to turn our easel around from the paint side, to the chalk side (our house is small, so there's not enough room to have it set up so that the kids can use both sides all the time). The kids LOVE it! They've gone crazy 'chalking' every day since I made the switch.

Today we came home from Little A's 3 year check-up (Which was excellent! Clean bill of health AND open tubes (we'll confirm that with the ENT on Wednesday)!) and the first thing Big A said when we walked in the door was, "Mommy, can I chalk?" He immediately went over and started drawing.

A few minutes later he ran in and said, "MOMMY! Come look at my abstract art!"

Me (Wondering how on Earth my 5 year old knows what abstract art is...) - "WOW! That's cool! What IS abstract art?"

Big A - "It's when you draw something that isn't really anything in real life."

Me (Still wondering...) - "NEAT! WHERE did you learn about abstract art?"

Big A - " CAILLOU!"

Okay... Gotta love PBS Sprout I guess! Caillou is a show that was banned in our house from the time Big A was 2 until he was 4 1/2. We've noticed that the new episodes of Caillou present a much less whiny Caillou and the kids don't pick up Caillou's traits any more... Well... Not the bad ones anyhow! Caillou has taught my kids about abstract art, increased their love for puppet shows and created many a marching band in my living room, among other things. Turns out that maybe a little TV isn't so bad after all, huh?

Here is Big A's Masterpiece... This could sell for millions some day!

And not to be outdone by her big brother, Little A had to get in on the action (and pose, too...) with a "beautiful rainbow".

I hope they remember their mom when they're selling art in New York galleries!



1 comment:

Ken said...

Thanks Amy. I work at Sprout and glad to know Caillou is providing a benefit to Big A and keeping them entertained even after the show.