Tuesday, September 7, 2010

A Tale Of Two Fisherman

So I REALLY want to tell you about the cabin trip, but like I said... There are WAY too many pictures for one post so I'm breaking them up into smaller 'adventures' for your reading enjoyment. Here goes....

We were all pretty excited about fishing since the cabin was RIGHT on the Sacramento River. Of course Grandpa kept telling us there were no fish, it was too shallow, it was only catch and release, etc., but after a bit of research and who knows what else (anyone who knows my dad will understand this) he decided that it WOULD be a good place to fish. Go figure.

Friday night Big A ran around with the net catching 'pretend' fish (and anything else he could get into the net) until Grandpa finally broke down and did a little fishing with the kids. They didn't catch anything, nor did B or I catch anything Saturday evening but Grandpa and Big A tried their luck again Sunday morning and had success.

The first fish they caught got away. I know, I know... A likely story, but here's how they tell it.... "We got the fish into the net but when Big A picked the net up, the fish was gone. We realized there was a hole in the net so we tied it up."

While Grandma and I were preparing breakfast (at noon), Big A came running up onto the porch screaming that they'd caught a fish. We all ran outside and here's what we saw...
He was SO excited and proud (and cute, if I do say so myself!!)!

To my surprise, he and Grandma immediately brought the fish into the house and started cleaning it. Okay, that didn't come out exactly right... I wasn't surprised that they brought it in to clean it, but I WAS surprised that BIG A and GRANDMA cleaned it!!! (More power to them!)


Big A even touched all the insides, held the heart and liver, and...

Checked out what was in it's stomach! For the record, this fish had eaten twig like things that had bugs/flies inside and rocks. Not a very tasty breakfast if you ask me!

Big A insisted that we fry the fish up to enjoy with our hamburgers that evening, so we did.
He floured the fish...

And ate it! And it was good!

We tried our luck at fishing Sunday evening and again Monday morning, but all we caught were a couple of trees. Oh well! Maybe next time!




No comments: