Monday, September 13, 2010

Another Batch Of Big Aisms

At a recent trip to the Family Christian store I ran into a girl who I used to have in one of the 6th grade classes I worked in. I was telling Big A about it the next day and he asked what her name was.

Me - "Stacey."

Big A - "Stacey? I know a Stacey. Does it have a K on the end?"

Me (wracking my brain trying to figure out what Stacey he knows...) - "No, why?"

Big A - "Because I know a Stacey K. She's on the radio. I met her when Daddy took me and Little A to the radio station."
__________________________________
Big A and I were going through his school papers the other day and I came across an empty Ziploc bag with a note in it asking that we fill it with non-perishable food, juice, etc., and return it to school for use as his emergency kit. He asked why we needed to do that and I explained that it was food and juice for him JUST IN CASE something like an earthquake were to happen and the mommies and daddies couldn't get to school to get their kids right away.

He looked up at me and said, "But aren't the materials at my school made by earthquake engineers? We'll be okay."
__________________________________


Last weekend we were sitting in Applebees having dinner. Big A was sitting across from me and he was telling me about something that was on the television above the bar which was behind me. I said, "Oh yeah! That was funny!"

He said, "How did you see it?"

Not letting on that the television set on the wall in front of me was tuned in to the same channel (or even that there WAS a television set in front of me), I told him that I'm a mom and all mom's have eyes in the back of their heads. I then went on to describe each thing I saw on the television as it came on. He was pretty impressed but when dinner was over, I didn't think much more of it.

Fast forward to the next day when the As and I were eating lunch at Baja Fresh. I had my back to the window and an A on either side of me at a square table. Big A was looking out the window watching the cars and said to me, "Mom! What do you magic eyes see now???"

CRAP! I SURE wasn't ready for that! So I told him that my magic eyes were really tired and that they were closed at the moment until I realized that I could just BARELY make out the cars passing and people walking if I looked in the shiny metal of the counter and hood. WHEW! Saved!

__________________________________

Big A - "Mommy, I see the Big Dipper. Do you see it?"

Me - "No, Honey. I can't see it because it's on your side of the car."

Big A - "It's right there. It looks kind of like a question mark."

Me (Continually amazed!) - "You know what a question mark is?"

Big A (Making motions with his hand...) - "It goes like this."

Me - "I can't see you, Honey. It's dark."

Big A - "It goes up from the bottom then around at the top."

Seriously!?!? My five year old knows what a question mark is?!?!?

Daddy - "WOW! The third graders I taught last week are just learning about that stuff!"

__________________________________

Last night Grandma was reading Big A an email from our friend Jen about her daughter, Sinead, and how she was upset with her Jen for letting her little brother have the milk cup she wanted then giving him a bigger carrot (it must be tough to be five!). Grandma asked Big A if he has any words of advice for Jen....

"Dear, Jen -

I hope you feel better soon. That's it.

Love, Big A"


No comments: