Wednesday, February 3, 2010

I Hate To Eat And Run, But...

Do you ever eat while you're driving? I mean of course you do, because if we didn't, why on Earth would anyone have created the drive-thru, right?

It seems that a group of insurance companies, the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, and the Virginia Tech Transportation Institute have compiled data and come up with a report on the
10 Most Dangerous Foods To Eat While Driving. These foods are the top offenders because they are "distracting".

I know the suspense is killing you, so here we go...

10) Chocolate, because it melts and you can swerve while trying to clean it off the steering wheel - REALLY? CHOCOLATE? But M & Ms melt in your mouth, not in your hand! So wouldn't that be safe?

9) Soda, because it can spill or fizz in your nose - NO JOKE, PEOPLE! That's what the report says. There's nothing worse than driving down 101 and having to jerk off the road suddenly because your soda fizzes in your nose!

8) Jelly or Cream Filled Donuts, because the jelly or cream can spill and raspberry jelly can be difficult to remove from material - Again... NO JOKE. But couldn't we then just carry ZOUT in our car to clean up that raspberry stained material! Problem solved! Pass the jelly donut, please!

7) Fried Chicken, because it leaves a greasy mess and makes the steering wheel greasy - Nothing like driving down the freeway with a drumstick in one hand and a gear shift in the other!

6) Barbecued Food, because of the sauce mess again - I'm beginning to see a trend here... This study REALLY applies to people with OCD because they won't be able to stand the fact that their cars are a greasy, saucy, chocolaty mess, NOT because they're all so dangerous, right?

5) Hamburgers, because of the grease and the ketchup/mayo/mustard mess - I guess if you order your burger DRY, you're okay.

4) Chili, because you might spill it - "Hi, Honey... I just had a little accident on the freeway.... Well.... No, I was trying to eat my chili and I was kind of using my knees to steer.... Well..." That one I get, unless of course you're able to DRINK your chili.

3) Tacos, because they fall apart so easily - Want tacos? Go to Jack In The Box. Everything is fried right inside of the shell... Ain't nothin gonna fall outta those puppies!

2) Hot Soup, because it could burn you or spill on you - See #4 about the chili and driving with your knees

1) COFFEE, because it always finds a way out of the cup - COFFEE!?!?! But Starbucks has a drive-thru, so it MUST be okay! Dad, this one is for you. There is more danger for people who drink it with no lids. Rebekah, if you switch to iced coffee, you can still drive around for nap time. Otherwise, I'm thinking Z might not be so safe with you and your coffee.

Seriously though... I GET what they're saying, but their reasoning seems to be lacking JUST a bit. I think it's all very interesting and now I'll know what to avoid next time I hit up Starbucks or Jack In The Box!



1 comment:

Bek said...

Whoever did this study clearly neglected to weigh the effects of driving with hot coffee against the perils of driving without having HAD any coffee. Trust me...it's safer with, hot coffee than no coffee at all. LMAO