Wednesday, January 5, 2011

A Very Special Birthday Wish


Today I'd like to wish a HAPPY 70th BIRTHDAY to one of the best men in the world....
You might be a little confused by the fact that this pie (Which happens to be MY birthday pie... The story gets more confusing with every line...) has a '4' candle and 3 single candles... Well it just so happens that this special man turned 70 just three short days after a special little girl turned 4. And it just so happens that 4 year old girls don't like NOT being the center of attention. And it just so happens that this particular girl insisted that we light candles and sing for her as well as this special guy.

So... What is 4 + 3? Yes, it's 7 and in this case, 7 is short for 70 because as much as I love these two special people, I preferred very much to have frozen chocolate pie over melted wax pie. Selfish, I know!


Yes, this special guy is my dad... Yes, my dad is 70. I know, nobody else believes it either. He continues to build boxes, climb mountains and ride his bike across the great state of Iowa. He continues to make dump runs for the neighborhood, play on the floor with grandkids and compete with the best of them at Wii Fit. He's pretty amazing. But most of all, he continues to accept me and love me as much or more as he did the day we first met.

You see, this man is not my biological father but rather a man who came into my life when I was nine and hasn't looked back since. He accepts the role of 'DAD' as he would with one of his own
and for that I am forever grateful. Dad, words can't describe how lucky I am and how much you mean to me and to my family.

I love you, Dad, and happy 70th birthday!

1 comment:

Dad said...

Thank you Amy for those kind and loving words. I love you and I love what our life has become. We got a late start at being daughter and dad, but I think we have made up for lost time very nicely, and in many ways, are ahead of the pack. Dad