Friday, December 3, 2010

Light Up A Life

Tonight we went to Light Up A Life, Memorial Hospice's annual tree-lighting celebration of music, inspiration and remembrance. B and I and my parents have been attending this event every December for about six years. It's a beautiful evening of reflection and remembrance for those friends and family members who have passed away. We were lucky tonight that the rain held off!

As people were gathering in the street waiting for the ceremony to begin, a lady was walking around with a basket of mistletoe. The kids asked Grandma and Grandpa if they could buy some and of course they said yes. The kids had fun kissing each other and kissing us and saying, "Mommy, I'm standing under it!" It was fun to see them so excited about kisses!


This year's event included a special song written and sung by a 9 year old girl whose grandmother had recently passed away. I don't think there was a dry eye in the crowd. Little A kept looking down at me from her perch on Grandpa's shoulders and saying, "Mommy, I feel like I'm going to cry."

I'd look up at her with tears streaming down my face and say, "It's okay, honey. You can cry." Her little lip would start to quiver and she'd tear up. It was so sweet.

It was difficult to keep the candles lit this year because there was a bit of a breeze. Some people came up with creative ways to keep them lit, but that beauty of looking out over a sea of lit candles was missing. We only managed to keep ours lit for about 3 minutes and that's with relighting them continuously.
After the event we headed over to Pete's for some dessert and to share the excitement of Big A's FIRST REPORT CARD! Just another example of him growing up...

I love traditions, especially at the holidays. I hope this is one that we will continue for a LONG time and that someday the kids will carry on with their families.

Speaking of traditions, tomorrow we're headed to Calistoga for the Lighted Tractor Parade! Yeah!


No comments: