Thursday, November 19, 2009

What's Love?

I have a morning routine... Get up, check on the kids, check email on my iPod, check Facebook on my iPod, brush my teeth, shower... You get the idea, right? One email that I count on EVERY morning is KLOVE's Encouraging Word. This email is like a scripture verse for the day and I look forward to reading them every morning.

Today's verse was from John 13:34. Jesus said, "So now I am giving you a new commandment: Love each other. Just as I have loved you, you should love each other."

This verse really got me thinking... WHAT DOES THIS MEAN? I think part of why this touched me so much is that I've had a rough week. There are things going on at work that I'm having to work through and things are going on in my personal life that I'm having to work through, and without going totally off track, people are doing things that I just can't wrap my head around. And yet here is a scripture where Jesus is telling me that because he loves me, I should love others.

I get that to a point... I understand and agree with the golden rule of do unto others as you would have others do unto you, but when it comes to love, where do you draw the line? What's love? And should I love these people in my life who are doing wrong? Do they need my love in order to do right? Is the meaning of love in this case interchangeable with support? What's love? Am I bad person for not loving every human being I meet? A rhetorical question, of course, but still... It's really got me thinking (and understanding more how B was feeling a few months back when he was struggling with a similar question)!

How do YOU interpret this scripture? Leave me a comment and let me know!


No comments: