Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Confessions Of A Slacker Mom - Cereal


I'm not feeling well still but I went back to work today. My voice is still quite raspy, I'm still coughing, I'm tired and I just generally ache. But I'm also almost out of sick time... See my dilemma?

Anyhow, yesterday I took spaghetti sauce out of the freezer fully intending to make spaghetti tonight but it just didn't sound appetizing and I was too tired and lazy! Hmmm... Plan B... AH! Cereal! We don't have cereal for dinner often, maybe once a month. I have friends whose families eat it WAY more often than that so it's okay, right? Yes, I'm rationalizing my decision based on what my friends do.

So I say to the kids, "Want oatmeal for dinner?" (See! I'm even making a hot meal!) Of course the kids are THRILLED! They love cereal nights.

And then Big A says, "I guess today is just a cereal day."

Me - "What does that mean?"

Big A - "Well, we're having cereal for all three meals."

Me - "What?"

Big A - "We had cereal for breakfast, we had... Well, I had cereal for lunch. Little A had a sandwich. And we're having cereal for dinner."

Me - "Daddy gave you cereal for lunch?" (You know, like it's okay for me to do it but not him... At least not on a day that I'm planning on giving them cereal for dinner.)

Big A - "Yep."

For a split second I consider going back to the original plan or finding a Plan C.... And then I cook oatmeal and toast and give them a drinking yogurt. Well balanced and healthy! I'm proud of myself. Or maybe I'm a little ashamed. But whatever... The kids are fed and headed to bed and I'm RIGHT behind them.



No comments: