Monday, September 12, 2011

Cheesecake And Blow Dryers

Today I enjoyed a day in the city with my mom. The day involved great conversation, much laughter, good food and... Well... Cheesecake and blow dryers, of course! The worst part?? I didn't take ONE. SINGLE. PICTURE. BOO!

My niece recently got her cosmetology license and landed a job working at diPietro Todd in San Francisco. She is an assistant at the salon four days a week and spends one day a week 'training'. As part of her training she spends Mondays practicing on people and has to get 4 or 5 models to come to her every Monday. If she doesn't find her own models by using family and friends, she has to 'beat the pavement' handing out fliers and getting people off the street. She's been asking my mom to come down, so today we went.

This rotation she's doing blow dry and style, so not much can go wrong with that. If she were practicing color or cut I may be slightly hesitant! (Just kidding, T!) Actually, it would probably be fine. The entire salon is taken over by students and teachers on Mondays and the students can't make a single move without first consulting the instructor. That makes my hair feel safer.

Our appointments were at 1:30 and 3:00 and as part of my ongoing birthday celebration, we were going to have lunch beforehand. When mom asked where I wanted to eat, I was at a loss. I'm not familiar with the restaurants in Union Square so I really had no idea where to go. Mom suggested Cheesecake Factory and I was in! Twice in three days! (I've heard from many of you that you are jealous... SORRY!)

If you're not familiar with the Cheesecake Factory in Union Square (which I wasn't), it's located on top of Macy's and they have patio seating where you can look out over Union Square. It was a BEAUTIFUL day in San Francisco and we spent almost two hours out on the patio eating and talking and just being together as mother and daughter. I CHERISH these moments. Thanks, Mom!

After lunch we window shopped our way to the salon. I'm not used to this type of salon. For that matter, I'm not too used to salons in general. I typically get my haircut at Great Clips. Anyhow... This place was hopping! There must have been at least 40 people in there at all different stages of cuts, colors, blow drys and styles. It was craziness! I was WAY out of my comfort zone and while I enjoyed chatting with my niece, I must say I was relieved to get out of there when it was over!

We made one last stop on our way home (Because when you're enjoy yourselves so much and have so much to talk about, you don't want the day to end!) to get coffee and eat our desserts from lunch. YUM!

Mom... I enjoy our time together SO much! I want to say thank you for today and for being my mom, my best friend and a beautiful person... I LOVE YOU!


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

... and thanks to you, too, for being my daughter, my best friend, and a beautiful person ... I love you infinity, Amy! XOM