Tuesday, August 3, 2010

A Visit With Great Grandpa


While in Southern California over the weekend, I had the opportunity to spend some time with my Grandpa. Perhaps it wasn't the kind of visit you'd expect when you hear me say this, but it was a visit nonetheless.

You see, my Grandpa passed away eight years ago and is buried on the side of a hill, under a tree, in a beautiful cemetery in Southern California. B and I stopped by his grave on our way into town and on our way out of town Big A asked if we could visit again. I think it's wonderful that he has such interest in 'knowing' and 'visiting' his Great Grandpa.

This was Little A's first visit to Great Grandpa since she's been old enough to understand the situation although I'll admit that she was a little confused when we pulled up and she didn't see anyone there to talk to. I explained to her that Great Grandpa is in Heaven and that we can still talk to him, she can still show him her princess, etc. She teared up with this new information and by the time we actually walked over to his grave, she and I were both in tears. My kids are so sensitive and loving!

By the time we left the kids were fascinated with the whole place. They were asking questions, looking at all of the different stones, and enjoying their time with Great Grandpa.
A few of the headstones had balloons on them, which caught Bit A's attention. We explained to him that the family of the person who was buried there was remembering the person on their birthday and so they brought balloons. This prompted the question of when Great Grandpa's birthday was and when I told him that it was the same day as Grandma's, he decided we should come to Southern California to celebrate Grandma's birthday this year. What do you say, Gram?


No comments: