Monday, July 18, 2011

Foiled Again!

I always struggle to come up with fun and different ideas for camping meals. We tend to eat the same few things... Hamburgers, meat and potatoes, and soup. Don't get me wrong, all of those things are great... But sometimes I just want something different.

This trip we experimented with foil dinners... Chicken foil dinners, to be exact! Talk about YUM!!


They even received a thumbs up from LIttle A! What can be better than that? Okay... Two thumbs up (one from each kid) would have been better, but for some reason Big A didn't like them. Not sure why, since there was NOTHING in them that he doens't like.


Anyhow, not only did they taste great, they were EASY! I prepared them at home, cooked them at the campsite, and there was NO CLEAN UP!


Chicken Foil Dinners

* Boneless, skinless chicken breasts cut into chunks

* Veggies of your choosing (I used the pre-cut saute veggies from Trader Joe's. I had one pack that had zucchini, crookneck squash, onions, carrots and garlic and one pack that had asparagus, onions and mushrooms)

* Cooking spray (I used my new olive oil sprayer)

* Garlic salt

Spray large sheets of foil with cooking spray (1 per person). Place chicken and veggies in the middle of each sheet of foil. Wrap the chick and veggies with the foil then wrap another sheet of foil the opposite way so the packets are double wrapped. Place the foil packs in a Ziploc bag and put them in the ice chest.


When you're ready to cook them... Get a good fire going. If the fire pit has a grate, I suggest using it. If not, just put the foil packs directly into the coals around the edge of the fire. No matter where you have the packs, turn and rotate them often. I believe it took about 45 minutes to cook them completely but it would have been a lot less if my fire had been better. There's not really a good way to tell they're done except to open them up and check the chicken.


Dump them on plates and enjoy! Best part? NO DISHES!!



No comments: