Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Riding In Cars With Boys... I Mean... KIDS!


Picture this...

You're driving down the road, listening to some tunes on the radio and the kids are happily listening to the IPod in the backseat. Think of the IPod as being like privacy glass in a limo... When they're plugged in to that they're in their own little world and you're alone in the front seat with just your thoughts.

All of a sudden the silence is shattered by your 2 1/2 year old shouting, "I know what I want! A boyfriend!"

Um... WHAT? You politely ask her to repeat what she said. "I know what I want! A boyfriend!"

HUH? Is that REALLY what she's saying? How does she even know about boyfriends? Again you ask her to repeat herself (those of you who have 2 1/2 year olds know EXACTLY what I'm talking about...) and again she says, "I know what I want! A boyfriend!"

At this point the 4 1/2 year old pipes up... "I know what I want! A boyfriend!"

If Big A is saying the same thing, that MUST be what Little A is saying. So then comes the questioning... "Where did you hear that?"

Big A - "It's on the hippopotamus song."

Me - "No it's not. Where'd you hear that?" (For those of you who are unfamiliar with the hippopotamus song, it's a song called "I Want A Hippopotamus For Christmas".)

Big A - "Yes it is! It's at the beginning."

Me - "Of the hippopotamus song? I don't think so."

Big A - "Yes it is!"

Me - "Give me the IPod. Let me see."

They hand me the IPod and I skip back to the hippopotamus song...

DAMN! Have I NOT learned by now not to argue with that kid about things like tractor names and stuff like this because he's always right? HE listens to the thing all the time, NOT me. OF COURSE the hippopotamus song starts with , "I know what I want! A boyfriend!" And why wouldn't it? It's not like it has ANYTHING to do with the song!

Chalk one up for Big A... *SIGH*



(For those of you have never heard the song before... Of course the version we have on the IPod has people talking about Christmas gifts at the beginning and a little girl says, "I know what I want! A boyfriend!")


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I want a boyfriend too!!