Monday, October 10, 2011

Columbus Day Or Conferences?

The federal government told me today was Columbus Day but Big A's school told me it was conference day. Whatever the reason, Big A didn't have school today and I DID meet with his teacher for a conference. Turns out my little pill is somewhat of a super star when it comes to school!



The first thing out of his teacher's mouth was, "HE CRACKS ME UP! Some of the things he comes out with are SO adult!" Yes, yes... We've been saying this since he was two... A little scary at times, to say the least!



She showed me some writing he'd done at the beginning of the year and told me how impressed she is with his detail and how much he writes. Next she showed me a math assessment they'd taken at the beginning of the year that covers ALL of the math concepts they'll cover this year in first grade (basically things he's never seen before). He got 15 correct out of 20... 75%. She moved him up to challenge spelling words and challenge reading packets. All of this puts him as one of the top eight 1st graders in the school (There are 60+ 1st graders...) and qualified him for the new GATE (Gifted And Talented Education) program that the school is starting.



Now I love my son, and I KNOW that he's smart, but to hear someone talk like this about him kind of made my jaw drop. I had NO idea that he performed this way at school. It's not that I don't know he's capable of performing this way, it's just that I didn't think he actually applied himself. Boy was I wrong!



Big A, keep up the good work! I'm SOOO proud of you and I love you SOOO much! I can't wait to see all the things that you'll do and all the places you'll go!





No comments: